Fiber cable coming to home

When is Fiber Coming to My Neighborhood?

Comments 12 comments

From more bandwidth to smoother video calls to higher speeds supporting multiple devices in the home, you’ve heard that fiber can make a big difference in the way you experience the internet.

Trouble is, it’s not in your neighborhood yet, and you aren’t sure when it’s coming.

So how do you find out? What does it take to get it? Can you do anything to hurry it along?

Here are answers to your important questions.

Why isn’t fiber service in every community throughout the country?

Internet service providers deploy fiber, bringing it from their connection node or central network office to individual homes. This is called Fiber to the Home (FTTH). There are many factors that go into a provider’s decision to install fiber and then to carry out the process. It’s not so simple. Here’s what’s considered:

• Budget – Fiber is very expensive to deploy and install, not just for the fiber itself, but also for the equipment that is in central offices and out in field stations. Making the decision to introduce fiber to a new development (a greenfield) or to an older established area (a brownfield) is based on a calculation of the percentage of households that will order the new service. Also taken into account is the future profitability, and that involves a projection of the number of households that will adopt fiber and then maintain the service.
  • Geography – Providers need to study the challenges posed by topography, mountains and rural or remote locations
  • Proximity – Related to geography, providers primarily target areas for expansion that are relatively near to existing fiber infrastructure to reduce the funding needed for construction. (This varies by provider and geography, of course.)
  • Workforce – Deploying fiber involves a large number of people and the coordination of many teams. Independent contractors do most of the fiber path creation and digging, while employees of the local provider do the finishing touches and connecting of customers to the network.

Better faster fiber ad
Better faster fiber ad

How can I bring fiber to my community?

Do your research online to see which internet provider(s) near you install fiber. Then contact them to request a serviceability study. All of the factors listed above (from budget to proximity) will determine if you can indeed get fiber service. The more residents you enlist to request fiber service, the better. (See Budget above.)

The provider will make an evaluation to determine what’s possible and the best solution.

Once deployment begins, how long does it take?

Ideally, once the construction crews come in and you see yard signs, you’re about two to three months, possibly more, from the launch date to “fiber ready.” That schedule, of course, is subject to many factors from weather to installation obstacles to permissions snags.

Providers are working to make neighborhoods fiber ready

Many service providers report that they add new fiber-eligible addresses weekly. Stay up to date on progress in your area and areas close to you. Keep in mind that no area will ever be 100% fiber. It’s important to be patient and realistic, while doing what you can to request fiber service. Once you get it, enjoy the performance.

12 responses to “When is Fiber Coming to My Neighborhood?”

1. Rusty Asbury says:

Greetings,

I live in a rural area of zip 75189. Currently the only type of internet available is via satellite.
    I talking to a Frontier technician they indicated your fiber service is being laid in my area. I would like to know when it might be at my door step.
    Exact address is: 18809 County Road 1090, Royse City, TX 75189

I have spoke to your customer service line and they cannot tell me anything.

I look forward to your quick response.

2. Frontier Communications says:

Hi Rusty. I checked with the field this morning and they advised that this address is part of the build area but were unable to provide a specific ETA. I do advise you remove your comment after you see this reply to protect your privacy. ^Michael

3. Canh says:

Hello. I am living in zip code 75044. Would you please check when the fiber service is available? Thank you.

• Frontier Communications says:

Hi there! We do serve Garland but we would need to check an individual address to know for sure. Single family homes are the lease complex to connect, but multi-dwelling units like apartments and town homes can be a challenge and typically require arrangements with an entire property to bring in fiber service. You can check availability at a specific address at http://www.frontier.com/order-online. We can also check your address on Social Media. You can message us on Facebook at m.me/FrontierCorp or on Twitter at twitter.com/AskFrontier. ^Michael

4. Nate says:

Hey there, I live in the 75762 zip code in Flint, Tx and was curious when Fiber would be in my area or how much I could pay to get it?

• Frontier Communications says:

Hi Nate, thank you for your interest. I looked up Flint, TX and unfortunately it’s not within our service area from what I can see, so we wouldn’t be able to provide our services directly. ^Michael

5. Burke says:

Hey we live far and inbetween at the zip code 41572 KY and we desperately need better internet service! We can only get satellite internet for horrible prices and been denied by companies to lay fiber at my home and it is unbelievably upsetting

• Frontier Communications says:

Hi Burke, thank you so much for your interest! Unfortunately I do have some sad news, we’re not a service provider in the great state of Kentucky! I’m sorry to have to say that. We service 25 states (https://fybr.to/3RJuipc), including multiple that you border which may explain it if you’ve seen our advertising. At the present time I’m not aware of us expanding into states we don’t currently serve as we’re busily working to upgrade the infrastructure to fiber in those that we do! ^Michael

6. Jess Rivers says:

I had fiber installed on my street about 2 months ago, had a rep out to sell me service and was ecstatic, however we are out another month since then and my address is still not showing in the system. How long does it take to show in the system? Maple Ave 06066

7. Julie F says:

Hello, haven’t received the flyer, but my neighbors have. My zip is 25414 WV. Will it be coming to the entire county or just certain areas and how soon?